Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. When do I need to get a Building Permit?
A.   The Town requires a building permit for any repairs, improvements, replacement or addition of a structure on your property.           

Q. When are water/sewer payments considered delinquent?
A.    Payments for water and sewer are due on the first of the month.  There is a grace period until the end of business on the 16th of each month. A late fee of $10 is charged to the account after the 16th.  If the 16th falls on a weekend, the payment is due by close of business on the next business day to avoid late fees.

Q. If my sewer is sluggish, what do I need to do?
A.  Auguring of the sewer lines on the owner’s property might be necessary. If your line is still sluggish after auguring has been done, contact the Town Hall at 655-2232 so Public Works can check the sewer main to see if the Town’s lines are running properly. If the Town’s mains are okay then the Town will let the property owner know what steps will be next.

Q. What items can be burned within the Town limits?
A.  The Town allows burning of leaves and small branches within the Town, either in barrels or on the ground.  Ashes need to be disposed of through your trash service company.  Per Ordinance 98-1:  An Ordinance prohibiting the open burning of household trash and garbage within the Town limits of Saguache:  Section 1. No person or group of persons shall openly burn in barrels or other facilities erected for burning including open spaces; any household trash, plastics, styrofoams, garbage, foodstuffs, flammable materials or liquids for the purpose of personal disposal within the limits of the Town of Saguache.  
To see or get a copy of Ordinance 98-1 in its entirety, please contact the Town Hall.

Q. Who is responsible for maintaining land around my property? Who maintains the water and sewer lines?

A.   Weeds:  Property owners are responsible for the removal of weeds or overgrowth from the center of the alley to their property, and for maintaining the shoulders and ditch area surrounding their property, as well as the property itself. 
Water/Sewer:  Property owners are responsible for maintaining the water and sewer lines within their property. Town staff maintains the common lines on Town property.

Q. What if I would like to have ditch water for irrigating my property?
A.    If citizens wish to have ditch water for irrigating their property they need to contact the Town Hall at 655-2232 so staff can put them on a list and schedule them with times and dates when they are allowed to divert the ditch water for irrigating.

Q. What type of items can be taken to the Old Dump?
A.    The Town allows residents to dispose of leaves and small branches at the Old Dump. Any citizen wanting to access the Old Dump needs to contact the Town Hall at 655-2232 to be placed on the schedule.

Q. How do I get trees trimmed on/near my property?
A.  The Town's Tree Board reviews forms received from citizens each year.  The Tree Board first determines if the trees are on Town property.  Trees on Town property are prioritized as to which trees will be maintained first.  If you have a tree next to your property for the Tree Board to inspect please contact the Town Hall or see the tree trimming form on the Forms page on the website.  The link to the Forms webpage is found on the Town Government page
It is the responsibility of the property owner to maintain trees located on private property.

Q. We had snow recently, when will my street be plowed?
A.   The Town only does snow removal if snow accumulation is more than three (3) inches. The Town Public Works Department has a list of prioritized streets that they plow first.  Please see this list on the Services webpage of the website, which you will find on the Town Government page. Please remember:  If you want snow to be plowed in front of your residence along the street, your vehicle must be removed from the street prior to when Public Works starts plowing.  As the Town is trying to remove snow throughout the Town they may only be able to go by your residence the one time.  Public Works normally starts plowing between 5:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m.